The Hyperice Vyper 2.0 is a foam roller turned high-tech and made more powerful.
It combines the benefits of traditional self-myofascial release with vibration therapy to optimize muscle recovery.
Choose between three speeds of vibration to kick your foam rolling up a notch and give your muscles some much-needed TLC.
What is it made of?
To optimize both effectiveness and comfort, the Hyperice roller consists of a high-intensity vibrating core that is fueled by a rechargeable lithium battery and is encased by a high-density neoprene cover that is eco-friendly and provides solid comfort while you roll out your tight muscles. With its slick and compact design, it gives the (correct) impression of a high-end foam roller but packs a punch with its vibration power.
Thanks to the lithium battery that is easily charged up using the charging cord that comes with the Hyperice Vyper, you’ll have no issue keeping the device functioning with power and reliability. The device has an average battery life of 2 hours, enabling you to use it numerous times before having to recharge.
How Does It Work?
The Hyperice roller is a self-myofascial release tool that is based on the benefits of traditional foam rolling (SMR), and its effects are amplified by three powerful levels of vibration to penetrate muscles better and achieve greater recovery results.
Self-myofascial release is a muscle manipulation technique that applies gentle pressure on muscle knots to bring those muscles from a bundled state to a straighter alignment (NASM), breaking up uncomfortable knots and releasing tension.
The Hyperice Vyper is very intuitive to use. It feels similar to a regular foam roller and is operated using a single button. Long press to turn on, short press to change between the three vibration settings, and long press once more to turn off the vibrations.
Benefits Of A Vibrating Foam Roller
The beauty of the Hyperice Vyper is that it combines two individually very powerful methods of muscle recovery into one handy and effective tool. The benefits of self-myofascial release (SMR/regular foam rolling) and vibration therapy include:
- Can help decrease muscle soreness (DOMS)
- Can help restore full range of motion (better than a standard foam roller could alone)
- Can increase flexibility
- Improves circulation / blood flow to damaged tissue
- Helps with faster recovery
- Can help correct muscle imbalances by lengthening tight muscles
- Improves neuromuscular efficiency (aka how efficiently the nervous system can communicate with muscles)
- Can decrease muscular pain or trigger point sensitivity
- Intuitive use
- Combines SMR and Vibration Therapy
- Offers high-intensity vibration
- Long battery life (2 hours)
- Comes with international charging adapters
- 3 Levels of vibration speeds
- Handy size (fits in a gym bag)
- Less painful than traditional foam rollers
- Of course, not as cheap as a standard foam roller
Is It Safe?
Like a regular foam roller, the Hyperice Vyper 2.0 does require you to have some control and balance to operate the device safely without losing balance. Aside from this basic requirement, the Vyper 2.0 won’t move where you don’t tell it to go. It is a safe-to-use and effective device for the majority of athlete groups.
Due to the sometimes difficult (and prone) positions, one assumes while foam rolling (ie. to roll out the quadriceps muscle), foam rolling overall is not always recommended for pregnant women to reduce the pressure placed on the abdomen. If you are currently pregnant, a hand-held percussion or vibration device like the Renpho massage gun might be a better fit for you.
Who Is It For?
The Hyperice Vyper 2.0 vibrating foam roller is a beneficial recovery and performance tool for all those who occasionally or frequently battle muscle soreness or experience muscle imbalances. From leisure workout enthusiasts to high-level professional athletes, the combination of vibration therapy and self-myofascial release is incredibly impactful and can both aid recovery and improve overall muscle health and strength.
What Are The Best Vibrating Foam Roller Excercises?
You can use a vibrating roller like the Hyperice Vyper just like you would a traditional foam roller. Find a tender spot in your body, and use the Vyper 2.0 to gently apply pressure on that spot for at least 30 seconds to release tension and restore proper muscle function.
Feel free to experiment with the device to see what feels particularly good for your body. Some muscle groups that the Vyper 2.0 is great for:
- IT Band
When Should I Use The Vyper 2.0?
With benefits ranging from decreasing muscle soreness and helping with post-exercise recovery to helping improve muscle imbalances, the Hyperice Vyper 2.0 has many uses.
Use this vibrating foam
- before a workout to lengthen tight muscles and increase range of motion so your workout will be more effective
- before your stretching routine to break up muscle knots and improve the muscles’ ability to lengthen
- after your workouts to relax your muscles and aid in post-exercise recovery by increasing the blood flow to damaged tissues and reduce muscle soreness
- on a rest day to continue improving circulation to damaged tissues and speed up recovery
- whenever you notice muscle imbalances caused by overactive/tight muscles. Roll them out and use the vibrating feature to relax overactive muscles and improve imbalances.
- when your friends are over, because you’ll have a pretty cool new piece of recovery tech 😉
The Company – Hyperice
Hyperice is one of the leading brands in the athlete recovery space. Constantly evolving and expanding their line of products to best serve athletes and make their lives easier, this brand comes recommended and loved by thousands. From percussion massage guns and contrast therapy devices to numerous vibration therapy devices, Hyperice is a fantastic one-stop shop for recovery needs. Broad coverage and availability on Amazon makes your purchase easy and ensure ultra-fast delivery times as well.
Overall Summary (4.9/5)
This one is relative: compare it to regular foam rollers and you’ll see a price difference. Compare it to other pieces of quite revolutionary recovery tech involving vibration therapy, and it’s very well-priced. Plus, you won’t have to spend the money on professional massages anymore, as you’ll have your own masseuse at home.
Thanks to Hyperice’s size as a company, their products are super accessible and easy to get your hands on! Find the Hyperice Vyper at stores like the ones below:
- Hyperice Website
- Best Buy
- DICK’s Sporting Goods
- other athlete specialty stores
Both compared to more traditional recovery tools and the industry-leading devices on the market, the Hyperice Vyper 2.0 stands out with its numerous benefits and uses.
Ease of Use
Operating like any foam roller and only requiring the use of a single button to switch between three speeds and take advantage of the benefits of vibration therapy, this device is incredibly easy to use and understand.